Haven of the Heavenly Deities
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The art of getting someone to agree with you...is there one?

3 posters

Go down

The art of getting someone to agree with you...is there one? Empty The art of getting someone to agree with you...is there one?

Post by Earth, Wind & Fire Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:07 pm

I was having a laugh earlier reading Saturday's Guardian magazine and this bit in particular.

Basically UK politicos were given the opportunity to interview journalists who would typically question them...

and I just thought this bit of the interview between Ann Widdecombe and Jon Snow was extremely funny..

AW Supposing you're a man, 50 to 55, with a huge record of success. You're looking for something to give back. There was a time when public service in parliament would have been a natural option.

JS Is it important that I'm a man?

AW I don't go in for these nonsenses.

JS The question said I'm a man between 50 and 55. Is it just as good for a woman?

AW I'm talking about individuals. Man is generic. And I'm not much concerned whether it's a man or a woman, whether it's black or white. Because I'm not afraid to talk about men. I'm not Harriet… A man of between 50 and 55. You want to give something back. You have somebody in your family who's vulnerable. You wouldn't do it. And that's because of your profession.

JS No, that's because of your profession. You won't face up to the possibility of bringing forth a privacy act. Where are you on privacy? Wait, you're asking the questions.

AW I'm asking the questions. Would you welcome a privacy act, Jon Snow?

JS I would welcome a privacy act, yes.

AW We have the scoop! Jon Snow says, "Bring in a privacy act."

JS I believe that the tabloid media, in particular, have so intruded into the private lives of public people that they have brought it upon themselves that there should indeed be a privacy act.

AW I think that is absolutely right. I think…

JS Damn me, Ann Widdecombe, I didn't think we'd have to sit here and agree.

AW And I consider that quite a coup, to have got Jon Snow to agree with me that we need to curtail the rights of the media. Thank you, Jon Snow…

JS Hang on a minute…

AW That's all we have time for today…

JS No, I'm not going to let you…

AW No, it's gone. I can't come back to you on that…

JS Yes, you can. I am totally opposed to, and would go to the gallows to prevent, censorship. But needless intrusion into the private lives of anybody...

AW I have concluded the interview!

JS I think we could have a PS.

AW [Laughs.] A PS! I never get that on Channel 4.

JS OK, I'm giving up all my rights of control.

AW Let me ask you this. Let's imagine a politician – I don't care whether it's male or female, Jon, but let's imagine a politician. You've got a politician who has never made any pronouncements about morality, who has a mistress. Is that the public's business?

JS Not at all.

AW Not at all?

JS Not at all.

AW You've just put a lot of the tabloids out of business.

JS Well, they're going out of business anyway, so that won't mean much…

AW That's my PS, that's the interview over.

The other interviews were funny because the politicians had very definite agendas when questioning the journos...

So...is there an art or science to getting people to agree with you, aside from frustrating the hell out of the person you are 'debating' with and them just agreeing to disagree with you and stomping off in a rage?
Earth, Wind & Fire
Earth, Wind & Fire
Admin

Female Posts : 198

https://hothd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The art of getting someone to agree with you...is there one? Empty Re: The art of getting someone to agree with you...is there one?

Post by The evil one Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:19 pm

She is a very clever woman. She bested him, and he walked right into it Shocked

It can be hard getting people to agree with you, if they haf a genuine opinion on something, that may or may not be the wrong one... it is theirs.

A way to do it though, is to 'sidetrack' into what you are wanting them to agree to. So, you would strike with what you would think would be their objections... and they will actually try and find holes in them... and by the time it gets to the actual topic, they haf convinced themselves that you were right, and will agree with you.

Well... worked on a certain dating site's forums
The evil one
The evil one
Admin

Female Posts : 195

Back to top Go down

The art of getting someone to agree with you...is there one? Empty Re: The art of getting someone to agree with you...is there one?

Post by Earth, Wind & Fire Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:44 pm

haha, yes she was very unwavering and determined to have her question asked and answered despite Mr. Snow's initial attempt to put her off by taking the questioning elsewhere turning it into an issue on gender - it was apparent, he didn't expect her to catch him out at all..

hmmmmm....I must try your trick out some time, if there is ever a worthy topic on the other place to get into...

I'm always surprised if anybody agrees with me because it's never on purpose that I've made them..and I mostly make up a lot of nonsense as well.
Earth, Wind & Fire
Earth, Wind & Fire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The evil one Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:49 pm

You usually make some goed points, that are worth agreeing with. You never spout any old rubbish like most do. You research your answers, and answer based on fact, as opposed to opinion
The evil one
The evil one
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth, Wind & Fire Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:36 am

Are you saying what I think you are saying Stewy...

You outlaw you!!

but you are right..all those politicians get classes in how to dodge questions and how to present themselves in a certain way, they need them to be honest...

I suppose it's an amusing thought that both sides..the supposed purveyors of truth aka the media and then the people who are working hard for their community and country, to make a better life for them are all playing a game...it's true to say the media have a huge influence and it must be frustrating for a politician when they don't win themselves any favours by being presented as foolish or even liars..anyway..they're all guilty of using each other for selling newspapers and for selling idealogies...
Earth, Wind & Fire
Earth, Wind & Fire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth, Wind & Fire Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:12 am

Well, I make sure to vote regardless of my feeling pretty much despondent about the futility of it all and that is because we are lucky to live in a democracy even though it doesn't seem very much like it at the best of times and that right to vote is vital as a symbol of freedom.

I always vote...always..once I didn't but they forgot to post my polling card in time..

I'm not into what's termed as 'politics' and viewed generally as people playing mind games and each other off each other..I hate that and think it a waste of good time but the mischievous in society never let up so you have to face them ...letting it go makes them the winners...but I have actually conceded in both family and workplace politics in my time because I just thought.."feck them..they're all a load of stupid idiots, why can they be honest instead of being such pains?" but when it comes to voting I think of the future for my children and know that I can make a difference with my vote..

I will vote for who is best available...not for the ideal because that doesn't happen that there is a perfect leader ever...
Earth, Wind & Fire
Earth, Wind & Fire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth, Wind & Fire Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:50 am

I would say that in most..there is a radical at heart - the bit of you and me which questions what life is about firstly and what we do to each other as a populous who really ought to be living in better harmony given the words we are fed from the day we are born till the day we die from all sorts of people who come from all sorts of sides of the fence (so to speak)

A vote may seem to you a false vindication that all are equal but for me that vote symbolises equality as much as is possible - fine there are loads out there like the politicians and the political pundits..the philosphers..the religious leaders..the rebels who would seek to sway ours/the public's opinion at every turn..and like you I have my own mind..but I am going to use my mind and ability to vote so I can be satisfied that at least I tried.

Jaysus..I was completely into being an anarchist for a while...yeah yeah yeah..my da called me the anti-christ but he was a swine of a slagger and got it wrong....

I completely favour people being community spirited..this world is ours and it is what we make it.

Last edited by Lady Muck on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : atrocious typos..)
Earth, Wind & Fire
Earth, Wind & Fire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth, Wind & Fire Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:08 am

People power baby..people power!!

It may be a cliched thing to say but...humanity wins at the end of the day..always..

haha

You have to have faith and you have to believe..and that is not in God Almighty or some kind of cosmic wonderment..it's in people like you and me....

Vote NO!!!!
Earth, Wind & Fire
Earth, Wind & Fire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth, Wind & Fire Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:28 am

hahaha...

ok..guess what..Che Guevara is my cousin..I swear to god..hehe
Earth, Wind & Fire
Earth, Wind & Fire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth, Wind & Fire Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:35 am

go and jump you..you're supposed to ask why I think or how I know that rather than scathingly reply as you did..

Haven't you learnt anything at all lately..

for that you can go and shove it up your jacksie!!
Earth, Wind & Fire
Earth, Wind & Fire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth, Wind & Fire Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:10 am

I will bore you with my bloodline when I am in the mood..for the moment believe me when I tell you ..I'm rather friendly with Guevara's cousins..I'm even one of them..god bless me haha......

now go and do an enormous pooh..you big irreverent cheeky swine..piggy poo
Earth, Wind & Fire
Earth, Wind & Fire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Colin Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:58 pm

I find it always best to start of debate in a position of power,such as being the MD or the owner of a chat forum!
Razz
Geordie Colin
Geordie Colin

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth, Wind & Fire Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:18 pm

hahahahahahaha...very good!!

I may have to do a little creative editing on here to erm...allow this topic to stay on topic and be less of a one woman show..or I could leave it for the surreal factor..

....it'll take me a while to debate this with myself

See you after ..
Earth, Wind & Fire
Earth, Wind & Fire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The evil one Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:12 pm

Hhahahaha... does look like you were chatting to yourself.

Maybe time to 'up' your dosage??
The evil one
The evil one
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum