Haven of the Heavenly Deities
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classic song

3 posters

Go down

Classic song Empty Classic song

Post by The evil one Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:52 am

Notorious 1980s hit Relax has been rewarded with a music industry 'classic song' award.

The Frankie Goes To Hollywood song was largely barred from the airwaves because of its sexual lyrics but has now been recognised ahead of this year's Q Awards.
The track - the first of the band's songs which went to number one 25 years ago - will be honoured at a ceremony on Monday.
Relax found infamy when then Radio 1 Breakfast Show host Mike Read realised what it was about and refused to continue playing it.
Shows like Top of the Pops followed suit, but the song continued to sell well, finishing 1984 as the biggest-selling single.
It also launched a range of popular T-shirts for the band, with the slogan Frankie Say Relax, based on Katherine Hamnett designs.
Paul Rees, editor in chief of Q Magazine which hosts the awards, said: "Determining what constitutes a classic song is a tricky beast, but staying power and instant recognition aren't bad yardsticks.
"Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Relax more than ticks both boxes - more than a quarter of a century later it is undimmed and unforgettable.
"That it also defined its era is equally inarguable. As such, Q is delighted to give it the recognition it deserves."

What song would you like to see classed as a 'classic' Sure we all haf some great ones we can think of. Will admit, that Wham's 'Wake Me Up Before You Go' is a classic... *now hides face in shame*
The evil one
The evil one
Admin

Female Posts : 195

Back to top Go down

Classic song Empty Re: Classic song

Post by jebbada khan Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:39 am

hmmmm, i have nevewr liked that frankie... song, a classic song it aint, i think nowadays too many songs are undeservedly classed as classics, but i would probably have to go with sweet child o mine
jebbada khan
jebbada khan

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth, Wind & Fire Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:19 am

Hahah..I loved Frankie go to hollywood, I must have been about 16 or 17 when they were becoming popular..oh if it was 1984 I was 19!! but they had that brilliant song and video 'Two Tribes go to war" with Brezhnev and Reagan battling it out in a boxing ring.

Pretty apt song for these times.

My favourite all time ever song is the classic sung by Louis Armstrong - 'what a wonderful world'..even thinking about it makes me happy

Hmmm..trying to think of defining song from my youth...

The B52's 'Love Shack' defined one summer for me..

But I remember when Bat out of Hell came out and how it was so popular and so loved by everybody haha..
Earth, Wind & Fire
Earth, Wind & Fire
Admin

Female Posts : 198

https://hothd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down