Haven of the Heavenly Deities
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What knowledge do you have of ADHD?

2 posters

Go down

What knowledge do you have of ADHD? Empty What knowledge do you have of ADHD?

Post by Earth, Wind & Fire Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:26 pm

Today, in Ireland, marks the start of ADHD awareness week..

Very briefly on the news just now... they've reported that ADHD affects 5% of the population but that there is a waiting list of two years before you can get to see someone to diagnose you.

I recall working with a woman on a youth project here, she was a fully qualified child psychologist and became the head of Dun Laoghaire youth services soon after her stint with the particular group I worked alongside her with. She is so lovely.. but she remarked one day that a lot of parents pressurise their GPs into treating their children for ADHD when the child doesn't even suffer from it i.e. that for too many parents they sought the diagnosis as a quick fix for behavioural problems which could be better dealt with using good parenting...

My friend's 7 year old daughter has been diagnosed (officially) with ADHD - so I will have to keep an eye out for all the information about it this week because she's off on her holidays in Portugal. Her daughter falls into the highest spectrum of ADHD and naturally my friend finds it difficult.
Earth, Wind & Fire
Earth, Wind & Fire
Admin

Female Posts : 198

https://hothd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What knowledge do you have of ADHD? Empty Re: What knowledge do you have of ADHD?

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:13 pm

I have no prior knowledge of ADHD,but my view echo's what your friend mentioned in passing .
I truely believe most cases are purely down to bad parenting ,each generation seems to let slide one or more unexceptable actions,into the exceptable category concerning behaviour, i stress not all ,and ADHD must be hard to diagnose and live with.
As infants/minors are associated with this disorder in the media ,ITS BELIEVED to be a genetic disorder,and no real evidence suggests that food additives or special diet,causeS or helps the condition.

QUOTE..

It has been suggested that if someone has lower levels of noradrenaline and dopamine, their brain can't make use of the glucose, so less energy is available to some parts of the brain, causing the symptoms of ADHD

.....EMPATHY can be my only advise.......

Back to top Go down

What knowledge do you have of ADHD? Empty Re: What knowledge do you have of ADHD?

Post by The evil one Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:38 pm

I haf no personal knowledge of it either... sorry

but I hope this may be of some help?
The evil one
The evil one
Admin

Female Posts : 195

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum